Visitors


View My Stats

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Am I a teacher or a leader?

The teacher drives students; the leader coaches them. 

The teacher depends upon authority; the leader on good will. 


The teacher inspires fear; the leader inspires enthusiasm. 


The teacher says ‘I’; the leader says ‘we.’ 


The teacher assigns the task, the leader sets the pace.  


The teacher fixes the blame for the learning breakdown; the leader fixes the breakdown. 


The teacher knows how it is done; the leader shows how. 


The teacher makes work a drudgery; the leader makes it a game. 


The teacher says, ‘Go’; the leader says, ‘Let’s go.'





This all comes from some unknown source about bosses and leaders, but as I read it, I saw all sorts of connections with teachers. The title to the post: Am I teacher or a leader, presents a hard question to answer. I know what I want to be, I know that I manage to be the leader at times, but I also know that at other times I am falling back on known teacher/student paradigms.


How about you?

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

Maybe this should be the first thing read in teacher credentialing programs? In education, there are many pressures that I believe some teachers are only teachers. I strive to be the best leader that I can be because in that experience I find that my best teaching emanates.