Visitors


View My Stats

Friday, October 2, 2009

Homework


My system for the homework is that I assign what I estimate to be 20-30 minutes of work 4 nights a weeks, plus the POW every other week.

Each time I see the class I will be checking up on specific problems to see how they did, but I will not be looking at every problem. The analogy I draw is the writing teacher revising for big errors and patterns, but not crossing every "t" and dotting every "i" for the student. In fact, they are required to write about the homework on the yellow sheet I give them each Monday. They tape this sheet into their hardbound homework notebook. Most of what they are doing is practice and I am training the students to ask questions when they have doubts rather than depend on me to figure this out. My belief is that students can and do take responsibility for their own understanding when held up to that expectation. I have not yet had a middle school student at the SFS who was not highly motivated and desirous of a good math evaluation. When we have class, I review the yellow sheet and do any problems that are written on the yellow sheet as well as the couple I have chosen. I am looking for patterns both in the students and the class with regards as to HOW they are solving the problems rather than all the answers. I ask that they keep all their homework in notebooks so that it is not lost and can be reviewed later when deemed necessary. As you review their work and feel I could cover something with your child or the class, please let me know and I will gladly address it.

No comments: