1. "Older" teachers are always the burned out ones and "younger" teachers are always the tech savvy ones.
2. Kids not WANTING to learn and teaches not WANTING them to do so.
3. Content standards and standardized testing as motivators for true, humanitarian reform of education.
4. Just the right amount of homework.
5. Parents who DON'T care about their childrens' education.
6. Fully funded schools with sufficient personnel to actually REACH everyone.
7. Rigorous, modern mathematics education.
8. Enough administrators who really "get" education and teachers.
Just off the top of my head, this evening.