Visitors


View My Stats

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

High School Recommendation Letters

This time of year, I have to write High School Recommendation letters for most of my 8th graders.

On any given year, I have great compassion for the ordeal these kids go through, with their parents, to be sure, as they "search" for a private high school.

The shadow visit, essays, interviews:  all seems overblown and exagerated, in my opinion.

Then I have to fill out a form similar to this one about the student, as well as write what comes out to be a whole essay on them. I always tell my students and their families that err on the positive, which is true. But just look at this form: doesn't it just beg for a snotty teacher to denigrate some student. I mean, really, aren't some of these questions ridiculousy overwrought and, in essence, judgemental?



2 comments:

Raymond Johnson said...

In the form, "Average" is second from the left and "Very good (well above average)" is in the middle. Simply from a design perspective, it makes me wonder how many people would visually interpret any mark left of center as a negative, despite the labeling of the columns.

Assignment Help said...

Hi,
I agree with your point that sometimes the questions are judgemental and ridiculous. To some extent Ray has raised a good question too. I guess this needs more evaluation
Assignment Help