Visitors


View My Stats

Monday, June 1, 2009

Twitterversifying

Sneaker wearing Social Studies teacher in Connecticut @paulbogush twittered today:

Do giving students grades shift the burden of their success from teacher to student?

Tomorrow I will be filling out the report cards for 62 math students, including 31 8th graders who already know what high school they will be attending and what math class they tested into.

It does seem like a pointless effort to grade at the very end of the year.

But I do like grades during the year as markers of progress and reference points for my students to consider who to improve their learning.

Of course, many of my students and their families are focussed on the meaning of the "letter grade" and not on the meaning of learning algebra deeply and effectively.

No comments: